The history of Moretti Forni, the leading electric pizza oven company, in the words of its CEO, Mario Moretti.
Today, Moretti is recognised as a global leader in pizza oven and bakery oven manufacturing. But like many great success stories, this one too has humble beginnings. The seed of the company’s success, before there even was any company, was all in the vision and acumen of one man, an electrician named Placido Moretti, who manually built his first electric bakery oven in the basement of his house in Pesaro, the Italian region of Marche. The year was 1946 and soon afterwards, Placido began patenting his inventions and established Brevetti Moretti, an iconic company which was the first in Italy to market electric ovens, at a time when the country relied exclusively on wood-burning methods.
In 1965, Placido’s son and son-in-law founded a new company, Moretti, headquartered at a manufacturing plant in the town of Marotta, where they began industrial-scale production of commercial bakery ovens. The exceptional performance of their pizza ovens, as well as their innovative modular concepts, quickly made the brand synonymous with quality, and within a few years demand for its commercial bakery ovens and pizzeria ovens grew all over Europe. It was also in this period that the company expanded its offerings with modular gas ovens and a wider range of baking tools and equipment along with the production of ceramic kilns.
In the 1990s, the third Moretti generation took hold of the family business, and soon turned it into a joint-stock limited liability corporation Moretti SPA. The last decade of the 20th century was marked by a number of strategic partnerships with leading baking machinery distributors both domestically and abroad. The success of the company’s pizza ovens in the North American region prompted the opening of a new Moretti location near Toronto, Ontario, to better serve the company’s many customers in the United States and Canada. Around the same time, the company also opened a third division, dedicated to producing glass-melting furnaces.
In 2005, to meet an ever-growing demand for its commercial pizza ovens and professional restaurant supplies, Moretti relocated to its present location, a 10,000sqm state-of-the-art facility in Mondolfo. The new eco-friendly facility, which serves as both the administrative headquarters and the main manufacturing plant, was conceived to optimise the work process.
Today, Moretti Forni is a modern restaurant supplies and bakery equipment manufacturer with over 100 employees, but it remains family-run and retains its original spirit. That first home-made bakery oven built by Placido Moretti in 1946 has been recovered, restored, and placed at the entrance of our new facility, not just as a memorial to our founder, but also as a reminder of the values which guide us. Now more than ever, we embrace those principles which made us successful in the first place, a steadfast commitment to quality and innovation, the ability to stay ahead of the market, and the will to put the customer above anything else, understanding that their complete satisfaction is the key to our success.