It’s the final countdown before registrations close for Seafood Scotland’s Chef Poissonnier of the Year UAE. Launched in October 2021, the last few weeks of the competition have been abuzz with talented chefs prepping their culinary techniques to compete in 2-part online qualifying rounds, to fight for a place in the live semi-finals in Dubai, in March 2022.
Hosted by the acclaimed industry body, Seafood Scotland, chefs will be challenged to ‘scale up their Poissonnier skills’ (fish skills) by incorporating Scottish Seafood into cuisines from ‘Around the World’. Through this competition Seafood Scotland aims to help chefs develop and showcase their culinary skills, creating opportunities for professional chefs across the UAE.
Over the past 20 years, Seafood Scotland has evolved to support the industry and professional chefs in areas most required such as sustainability, blockwork, knife skills and hygiene to name a few. Their mission is to support fish chefs worldwide as the industry develops. Seafood Scotland deals with all seafood species, both wild and farmed, and works throughout the supply chain with fishermen, farmers, processors, retailers, food service within the UK and around the world in key trade target markets.
With some of the best chefs in town vying for the title of Chef Poissonnier of the Year UAE, here is a taste of some of the prizes that the winner will take home:
- A once in a lifetime all-expenses-paid educational trip to the beautiful remote Highlands and Islands of Scotland, UK, to witness first-hand seafood fishing methods and farming in the crystal-clear waters surrounding Scotland’s coastline.
- An opportunity to perfect their skills with the masters of seafood and learn first-hand from some of the world’s greatest fishermen and fisheries about hygiene, blockwork, scaling, knife skills, species, preparation, and sustainable fishing.
- As part of an exclusive fishing trip trawling for shellfish, the winner will spend the day out at sea with local fishermen, catching lobsters, crab, and langoustines fresh from the creels laid down in the Scottish lochs.
- A visit to a highly acclaimed Scottish salmon farm to learn more about how Scottish salmon is sustainably reared and processed before being exported around the world.
- A personal tour of a traditional Scottish smokehouse that produces the signature smoke behind the world-renowned Scottish smoked salmon.
- A premium personalised Bragard Chefs Jacket, designed by this highly acclaimed international brand.
To enter Seafood Scotland’s Chef Poissonnier of the Year UAE, chefs need to register at:www.sfschefcompetition.com.
Once registered, here’s what chefs can expect:
- There will be 3 rounds with 6 challenges over a 5-month period.
- All UAE professional chefs will enter the qualifying rounds comprising of a two-part online culinary seafood challenge – a timed Online Knowledge and Skills Challenge and a Seafood Recipe Creation.
- 8 talented chefs with the highest scores will then move on to the ‘filmed live’ Semi-Final Heats in early March 2022, with UAE media coverage.
- 4 winners from the semi-finals will go through to compete in the ‘filmed live‘ finals in late March 2022, with extensive media coverage across the UAE. Regardless of the outcome, chefs will learn and have had the opportunity to build their name as one of the most talented ‘Poissonnier Chefs’ in the UAE!
- All chefs competing in the semi-final and the final heats will receive a certificate of participation, accredited by world seafood knowledge masters – Seafood Scotland, Government organisation Scottish Development International, as well as a team of world-renowned and highly acclaimed judges and industry peers.
If you have what it takes to become Seafood Scotland’s Chef Poissonnier of the Year UAE, sharpen your knives, and get ready to win the experience of a lifetime.
Registrations close soon, register now.