There are currently 159,711 rooms in 581 hotel projects under contract in the Middle East.
The figures were released by STR in its May 2017 Pipeline Report.
Under contract data includes projects in the in construction, final planning and planning stages but does not include projects in the unconfirmed stage.
The under contract total in the Middle East represents a 3.8% increase in rooms under contract compared with May 2016.
Specifically in the in construction phase, the Middle East reported 93,984 rooms in 302 hotels. Based on number of rooms, that is a 15.5% increase in year-over-year comparisons.
Five countries in the Middle East/Africa region reported more than 4,000 rooms in construction:
- Saudi Arabia (40,145 rooms in 95 projects)
- United Arab Emirates (32,604 rooms in 116 projects)
- Qatar (9,147 rooms in 37 projects)
- Egypt (4,775 rooms in 14 projects)
- Angola (4,451 rooms in 32 projects)