Gulfood 2017, the 22nd edition of the world’s largest annual food industry exhibition crowned its Innovation Awards winners at a ceremony held at the Conrad Hotel on Sunday 26 February.
The Innovation Awards, sponsored by Al Dahra, recognise and honour new and improved innovations and technologies being adopted by Gulfood exhibitors.
One of the companies awarded was Green Isle Foods from Ireland, which was crowned Best Halal Food Company winner for Goodfellas halal frozen pizza.
Green Isle Foods export lead, Suzanne Conroy, said: “We are delighted to receive this prestigious award for our Goodfellas halal frozen pizza. It is a great testament to the hard work and commitment of our team to developing a pizza range which appeals to consumers in the MENA region.
“The addition of our new doner kebab variant is another example of the innovative new product development and we look forward to continued success and growth in the frozen pizza category.”
Greenyards Frozen, from Belgium picked up the award for Best Frozen or Chilled Food. Frankie Vandermeiren, commercial director retail and food service, Greenyards Frozen Belgium NV said: “Our winning product is our convenience line which is premium, higher quality and based on market demand as customers prefer ready to use convenience products without conservatives and frozen into mini portions. It’s the ideal solution to avoid food waste.”
UAE companies also took home accolades, with Global Food Industries LLC (AL Batha Group) winning Best Fruit and Vegetable Innovation and Best Meat and Poultry Innovation.
Jacek Plewa, general manager of Global Food Industries LLC (Al Batha Group), said: “Being a UAE-based brand, winning not one but two Gulfood Innovation Award brings industry-wide recognition, which resonates far beyond the borders of our operations.”
Other winners included New Zealand dairy co-operative Fonterra, which won ‘Best Trade Stand between 40 -90 square metres’. The stand is shared by Fonterra’s business-to-business brands NZMP and Anchor Food Professionals.
A spokesperson of Fonterra Co-Operative Group said: “Our split-stand was designed to demonstrate our high quality dairy products and pure New Zealand origins, and we are honoured that our stand was recognised. Gulfood 2017 is a great opportunity for us to connect with key regional customers and showcase the industry-leading bulk ingredients and foodservice solutions we can offer the Middle East food industry.”
An estimated 5,000 local, regional and international exhibitors participated at the 1,000,000ft2 Gulfood 2017 at Dubai World Trade Centre from Sunday 26 February – Thursday 2 March.
Full list of Gulfood Awards 2017 winners:
- Best Soft Beverage: Bibita
- Best Soft Beverage: CocoMojo
- Best Hot Beverage: Automatic Brewers/ Barista Espresso
- Best Dairy Innovation: Graham’s the Family Dairy
- Best Meat or Poultry Innovation: Global Food Industries LLC
- Best Baked or Confectionary: Atlantic Foods
- Best Condiment or Sauce: Margo Brothers Foods Limited
- Best Frozen or Chilled Food: Pinguin-Greenyard Frozen
- Best Fruit and Vegetable Innovation: Global Food Industries
- Best Halal Food: Green Isle Foods
- Best Artisan or local Food: Ghanim International Corporation SDN BHD
- Best Organic Product: Auga Group
- Best convenience Food: Dumet AG
- Best Health and Wellness Product: Kuwait Flour Mills & Bakeries Co.
- Best Fair Trade: Al Watania Poulty
- Best food Service Innovation: Zila Kavehaz KFT.
- Best Packaging Design: Bibita
- Best Trade Stand (up to 40m2): Rastelli Brothers Inc
- Best Trade Stand (40 – 90m2): Fronterra Co-operative Group
- Best Trade Stand (Over 100m2) USAPEEC