Twenty-one of the world’s food, beverage and hospitality industry innovators from three continents picked up awards at the seventh edition of Gulfood Awards, which took place at Conrad Dubai on Sunday 21 February.
More than 1,000 industry decision-makers, celebrity chefs, exhibitors, customers, media and national groups attended the ceremony, which saw 18 accolades judged and awarded by a panel of 25 independent industry experts.
Trixie LohMirmand, senior vice president, exhibitions & events management, DWTC commented: “As the region’s most sought-after accolade in the food, beverage and hospitality industries, winning a Gulfood Award constitutes industry recognition which resonates far beyond the borders of the UAE.”
Additionally, three Best Trade Stand winners decided by the Gulfood management team were named, and the evening also saw CleanLAB crowned winners of The Innovation Hub sponsored in Association with British Airways and Avios.
A new feature this year for Gulfood’s F&B Business Forum, produced by BNC Publishing, The Innovation Hub in Association with British Airways and Avios, invited F&B entrepreneurs to put forward their ground-breaking ideas for a company expansion or new product.
The five best ideas were shortlisted, and those candidates were invited to pitch live in front of a panel of experts on the opening day of the Gulfood Conference, in a bid to secure start-up investment capital.
The other four shortlisted candidates for the Innovation Hub were Eco Burner, Golden Irish, TSI and Canadian University.
“New grassroots initiatives such as The Innovation Hub will further encourage growing UAE businesses to implement creative concepts that will make an impact in the industry and I have been impressed with the diversity of ideas presented,” said Anjulika Dutton, sales manager UAE, Kuwait, Oman and Central Asia for British Airways.
“Our own research tells us that UAE start-ups and pioneers still benefit from face-to-face meetings to secure business deals internationally and British Airways will continue to offer SMEs and entrepreneurs such as CleanLAB with affordable and manageable travel options with initiatives such as our On Business programme.”
Organised by Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC), the Gulfood Awards celebrate people and companies pioneering leadership and innovation in the global food and drink industry.
This year’s awards attracted more than 300 entries from 30 countries across four continents.
Accolades included: Best Newcomer Brand or Business, Best New Halal Food, and Best Environmental Sustainability Initiative.
Innovation was a key highlight this year and was recognised with awards in products, coffee, fast food, foodservice, and catering equipment among others.
Eleven companies from the UAE claimed awards, with Abu Dhabi-based Agthia Group the country’s top performer, taking home awards for Best New Baked or Confectionery Product, Best Foods Company and Best Consumer Marketing Campaign.
Other UAE winners included Technical Supplies & Services Company (TSSC), which took home Best Environmental Sustainability Initiative, and Best Coffee Innovation was awarded to Muddle ME.
Three German companies gained accolades in the Catering Equipment categories, including Maschinenfabrik Kurt Neubauer (MKN), which won Best Heavy Equipment Innovation and Best New Catering Equipment Innovation.
Meanwhile, Vietnam’s TH Food Chain Joint Stock Company won three awards: Best New Frozen or Chilled Food, Best Health Education Initiative and the Gulfood Industry Outstanding Achievement Award.
Al Watania Poultry took home the Best New Halal Food award, while Mendez Goncalves from Portugal won Best New Fast Food Product or Innovation.
InSinkErator from the UK won Best New Food Service Innovation.
Full list of Gulfood Awards 2016 winners:
- • Best New Functional Food or Drink: The Goods Collective & Co., Health Food Distributor, Dubai – UAE
• Best New Non-Alcoholic Beverage: EFB FZE Twisst Mocktails, Dubai – UAE
• Best New Halal Food: Al Watania Poultry, Saudi Arabia
• Best New Fast Food Product or Innovation: Mendez Goncalves, Portugal
• Best New Baked or Confectionery Product: Agthia Group PJSC, Abu Dhabi – UAE
• Best New Frozen or Chilled Food: TH Food Chain Joint Stock Company, Vietnam
• Best Health Education Initiative Award: TH Food Chain Joint Stock Company, Vietnam
• Best New Foodservice Innovation Award: InSinkErator, UK
• Best Coffee Innovation: Muddle ME, Dubai – UAE
• Best Foods Company: Agthia Group PJSC, Abu Dhabi – UAE
• Best Newcomer Brand of Business: Heera Group, UAE
• Best Environmental Sustainability Initiative Award: Technical Supplies & Services Company LLC, UAE
• Best Consumer Marketing Campaign Award: Agthia Group PJSC, Abu Dhabi – UAE
• Best New Catering Equipment Innovation Award: MKN Maschinenfabrik Kurt Neubauer GmbH & Co.KG, Germany
• Best Sustainable Catering Equipment Innovation Award: VITO AG, Germany
• Best Light Equipment Innovation Award: Muddle ME, UAE
• Best Heavy Equipment Innovation Award: MKN GmbH & Co.KG, Germany
• Gulfood Outstanding Achievement Award: TH Food Chain Joint Stock Company, Vietnam
• Best Trade Stand: 12 – 20 square metres: Anverally & Sons – Sri Lanka
• Best Trade Stad: 20 – 50 metres: Al Dahra Agriculture, Abu Dhabi – UAE
• Best Trade Stand: 50-plus square metres: IFFCO, Dubai – UAE
Gulfood, which runs until Thursday at DWTC, is the world’s largest annual food and hospitality trade show, and provides a platform for buyers and sellers to conduct direct business with global contemporaries.
The exhibition is a showcase for global finished foods and hospitality equipment suppliers, distributors and retailers across all key sectors of the international food and hospitality industry.
The Gulfood Conference will continue at Conrad Dubai on Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 February, with sessions comprising The Gulfood Halal Forum, Food Science and Manufacture, Global Food Security, and Public Health and the Food Industry.
View the full Gulfood Conference agenda by clicking on this link.