Registrations are now open for ‘Chef Poissonnier of the Year’
With the world’s eyes set on the UAE as Expo 2020 fires into its opening months and covid restrictions are lifted, the UAE food and beverage industry is flourishing with new concepts and talents to showcase, making it an important time for chefs in the UAE’s hospitality sector. Chefs are being called upon to save on costs and wastage more than ever while being challenged to keep up with new F&B trends and ever-growing consumer demands to produce menus and recipes incorporating nutritious, high-quality, and sustainable food such as seafood. Something the experts at Seafood Scotland know a lot about!
The acclaimed industry body, Seafood Scotland is investing heavily in the promotion and development of UAE chefs by launching their first-ever ‘Chef Poissonnier of The Year’ professional chef competition in October 2021.
Chefs will be challenged to ‘scale up their Poissonnier skills’ (fish skills) by incorporating Scottish Seafood into cuisines from ‘Around the World’.
Once registered, here’s what chefs can expect:
- 3 rounds with 6 challenges over a 5-month period.
- All UAE professional chefs will enter the qualifying rounds comprising of a two-part online culinary seafood challenge – a timed Online Knowledge and Skills Challenge and a Seafood Recipe Creation.
- 8 talented chefs with the highest scores will then move on to the ‘filmed live’ Semi-Final Heats & Final Heats in March 2022, with extensive UAE media coverage.
- All 8 chefs will receive a certificate of participation, accredited by Seafood Scotland, Government organisation Scottish Development International, as well as a team of world-renowned and highly acclaimed judges and industry peers.
The winning chef will also be awarded a series of prizes including:
- A once in a lifetime all-expenses-paid educational trip to the beautiful remote Highlands and Islands of Scotland to witness first-hand seafood fishing methods and farming in the crystal-clear waters surrounding Scotland’s coastline.
- An exclusive fishing trip trawling for shellfish, spending the day out at sea with the fishermen, catching lobsters, crabs, and langoustines fresh from the creels laid down in the Scottish lochs.
- A visit to a highly acclaimed Scottish salmon farm to learn more about how Scottish salmons are sustainably reared and processed before being exported around the world.
- A tour of a traditional Scottish smokehouse that produces the signature smoke behind the world-renowned Scottish smoked salmon.
- Perfecting your skills and learning firsthand from some of the world’s greatest fishermen and fisheries about hygiene, blockwork, scaling, knife skills, species, preparation, and sustainable fishing, including following the journey of your produce to your kitchen in the UAE.
If you think you have what it takes to become the UAE’s first ‘Chef Poissonnier of The Year’ then it’s time to present yourself onto the UAE’s culinary stage and showcase your seafood skills by registering now!